Around RowHouse this week...
This coming menu is all about what I'm hungry for now. I'm so excited to bring it to the plates. Deeper flavors, lots of layers, yet still hopefully not heavy. Whether or not you are a fig fan, I think we are going to show off this little gem in a couple of beautiful ways. Let me know what you think.
I think this past week, I finally had my sigh of relief and the "aha moment" when I felt confident my new kitchen crew was thru stage one. I love seeing people gain confidence, and or decide this isn't the right place for them. This restaurant is a forum of growth and creativity and I believe we are entering into out next and maybe most awesome to date dimension. I can't wait to see what transpires and how this crew will win your hearts and appetites. Thanks for allowing us to have growing pains....it is a pretty good show from my vantage point, despite the often wrinkled brow, I am still enjoying myself. Thanks for all the hugs, the back pats, and the thumbs up. We are here for you!
Have a great week. Thanks for being here!
The menu Oct 22 - 25 has been a favorite of mine so far this fall. It was just what I was craving, and really gorgeous on the plates. The figs and butternut squash showing up in different roles is especially appealing.
Next week's menu I am equally excited for. Ideas are finally just jelling again. Kale is gorgeous this time of year, and there are so many varieties that I hope if you have decided kale is not your thing, you look for another variety. I love the dinosaur and purple varieties. We took cues from our cookbook and twisted them a bit. I'm also trying the beef in a slow cooker, taking some cues from Julia Child, but keeping it RowHouse. The sweet potato dumplings should be a fun challenge for us. I'm super in love with the idea of these upcoming desserts. Our takes on some borrowed ideas.
Heads up for November. We will be taking our annual pre-Thanksgiving break, but will be here for out 8th annual "Tapas" weekend Friday and Saturday Nov 28th and 29th. The Miracle on Kansas parade is that Saturday 29th and is routed down 6th because of the demo on Kansas Avenue, so parking that busy night may prove very tricky. I'll keep you posted, but definitely plan ahead and accordingly. We'll keep the fires burning, you just may have a little walking to do to and from dinner. We have also opened the books for New Year's Eve. $80 p/person, lots of nice surprises. We do take a no-refund deposit of $25 p/person for that special event.
Our menu Oct 29 - Nov 1, 2014
- Salad: Kale, Romaine, Apple Doughnut Croutons, Almond, Honey, and Parmesan Dressing
- Soup: Onion and Leeks
- Vegetarian Entree: Carrot and Zucchini Ribbons, Arugula Puree, Pomegranate
- Entree 2: Tomato and Chili Spiced Jumbo Shrimp, Cheesy Grits, Brussels Sprouts
- Entree 3: Braised Beef Burgundy, Sweet Potato Dumplings with Sage Butter , Brussels Sprouts
- Dessert: Apple and Olive Oil Cupcakes with Maple Frosting
- Dessert: Pumpkin Cheese Cake with Bourbon and Pecan Crust
- Dessert: Pistachio Biscotti with Cream Coffee Glaze
Our menu Oct 22 - 25, 2014
- Salad: Greens, Oranges, Walnuts, Goat's Cheese, Roasted Onion Vinaigrette
- Soup: Lentil and Carrot
- Vegetarian Entree: Beet Gratin with Sauteed Kale (or Brussels Sprouts)
- Entree 2: Seared Sea Scallops, Pear Butter, Butternut Squash and Spinach Risotto
- Entree 3: Slow Braised Boneless Beef Spare Ribs with Dark Beer and Figs, Roasted Potato and Fennel
- Dessert: Chocolate Brownies with Cranberry Compote (Gluten Free)
- Dessert: Apple Crisp with Cinnamon Whip Cream
- Dessert: Butternut Squash Scones with Fig Preserves
Our menu Oct 15 - 18, 2014
- Salad: Radish and Brussels Sprouts Slaw with Cilantro and Yogurt
- Soup: Potato Corn with Jalapeno Oil
- Vegetarian Entree: Tomato, Zucchini, Eggplant, and Polenta Stack
- Entree 2: Pecan Crusted Mahi Mahi, Celery Cream, Smashed Peas
- Entree 3: Sliced Beef Tenderloin, Plum Butter, Worchesterchire Vinaigrette, Sweet Potato and Sausage
- Dessert: Pumpkin Cake
- Dessert: Plum and Cranberry Compote in Pastry with Whipped Cream
- Dessert: Peanut Butter Cheesecake with Chocolate Granache
Our menu Oct 8 - 11, 2014
- Salad: Romaine, Cucumber, Artichoke Hearts, Black Olive, Croutons, Dill Vinaigrette
- Soup: Butternut Squash with Sage
- Vegetarian Entree: Leek, Mushroom, and Goat's Cheese Frittata with Sweet Pepper and Corn Salsa
- Entree 2: Seared Salmon, Shallot Pan Sauce, Sauteed Greens and Radish
- Entree 3: Port and Mustard Glazed Beef, Smashed Root Vegetables, Sauteed Greens
- Dessert: Pumpkin Bread Pudding
- Dessert: Plum Upside Down Cake
- Dessert: Flourless Chocolate Cake with Cointreau Glaze
Dinner at RowHouse is $43 per person. Our Tasting menu includes a sampling of every item on our menu for the week. Please feel free to choose only one of the entrees and still enjoy the other courses. We are also happy to make portions more "modest" if you would like. We do our best to accommodate food allergies and dietary restrictions.
When making reservations please know the house has three levels and many unique dining rooms. The main floor is handicap accessible, but the top floor and garden level do have stairs. We try to honor table and floor request but are not always able to do so because of limited space for large groups. If you have a specific table or room you'd like, please let us know when making your reservation and we will do our best to make it happen. We are contantly looking for ways to make your evening with us even better. One of us is on staff at RowHouse Wednesday through Saturday from 2 pm to Close. We return calls Wednesday through Saturday in the order received.
We have a lovely winelist, Premium Liquors, awesome cocktails, and great beers. Wine and Alcohol cannot be brought in to the restaurant as of April 1, 2011
Some of my local favorite places to eat.....
Some of my Favorite Places...
Tumptim Thai: I can't say enough good thing about their food. Yum!
The Blind Tiger: I come from beer people. This is good beer.
New City Cafe: Hip, uptown food.
Chez Yazu: Beautiful, intimate and so French.
El Mezcal Topeka Boulevard: Staple: once a week at least.
The Celtic Fox: Give me a Smithwick's
Quniton's: Great sandwiches and an amazing tap selection. Love the new bistro burgers!
The Burger Stand: College Hill Area
Encore: Lawrence Secret: get the Vegan General Tsao's Chicken"
715: Lawrence - One of my favorite restaurants
Check out Greg's Food Blog on Cj Online